Planning & Zoning
Kennett Township Zoning Ordinance Municipal Planning Code Public Review
Kennett Township is pleased to introduce the proposed updated Kennett Township Zoning Code which is currently under review by the Chester County Planning Commission. The completion of this Code update encompasses 5 years’ worth of work between the members of the Zoning Task Force, the Township Supervisors, Consultants, Staff, and County Planning officials.
The current Zoning Code was last updated 15 years ago. The Task Force was charged with cleaning up some internal inconsistencies, ensuring compatibility with other Codes, and providing for new and changing uses.
The updates as proposed are in line with the recently updated Comprehensive Plan, which was a requirement of the Board of Supervisors, in that it continues to promote our agricultural and historic uses while preserve our open space. The updates also encourage the support of our tax rateables through Industrial/Commercial uses, which offset residential fees. This is supported by the subsequent Economic Development Study. Finally, the updates are also in keeping with Chester County’s Landscapes III which is a guide for growth and rural protection.
The update has now reached its conclusion and several public meetings have been conducted to inform the public and address questions in the later months. Below is the new Zoning map (2023) along with text Articles 1 - 25 followed by the updated maps. There is no Article 15.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Diane Hicks, Director of Planning and Zoning.
Articles 1-25 (note there is no Article 15)
- 1- Article I Preamble
- 2- Article II Terminology
- 3- Article III Establishment of Districts
- 4- Article IV RA Residential District
- 5- Article V RR Residential District
- 6- Article VI RS Residential District
- 7- Article VII RMHD Residential District
- 8- Article VIII VH Village District - Hamorton
- 9- Article IX VM Village District - Mendenhall
- 10- Article X C Commercial District
- 11- Article XI SA Specialized Agriculture
- 12- Article XII LI Limited Industrial District
- 13- Article XIII-1 CC1 Cultural Conservation 1
- 13- Article XIII-2 CC2 Cultural Conservation 2
- 14- Article XIV PRD Planned Residential Development
- 16- Article XVI Historic Resource Stds
- 17- Article XVII Open Space Design Option
- 18- Article XVIII Natural Resource Protection Standards
- 19- Article XIX Supplemental Use Regulations
- 20- Article XX General Standards
- 21- Article XXI Signs
- 22- Article XXII Transferable Development Rights
- 23- Article XXIII Zoning Hearing Board
- 24- Article XXIV Nonconformance Standards
- 25- Article XXV Administration
Planning & Zoning
Diane Hicks is the Director of Planning & Zoning. She is responsible to make sure all Zoning Ordinances and Codes are properly followed and enforced. Diane works with the Zoning Hearing Board to coordinate Zoning Hearings.
Building Codes Official - Rich O’Brien, Keystone Municipal Services inc is the Township Building Codes Official. He is responsible for reviewing building permits, building plans, enforcing building codes of the Township and codes. The Township uses the 2015 International Building Code unless otherwise noted by Ordinance.
Building Inspection Information
Residential/home inspections are Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Appointments are not available; however, you can specify morning or afternoon. Our inspector will call you beforehand only if you specify morning or afternoon. To schedule an inspection please email email@example.com and be sure to include in the email: