- Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning
Kennett Township Zoning Ordinance Municipal Planning Code Public Review
Kennett Township is pleased to introduce the proposed updated Kennett Township Zoning Code which is currently under review by the Chester County Planning Commission. The completion of this Code update encompasses 5 years’ worth of work between the members of the Zoning Task Force, the Township Supervisors, Consultants, Staff, and County Planning officials.
The current Zoning Code was last updated 15 years ago. The Task Force was charged with cleaning up some internal inconsistencies, ensuring compatibility with other Codes, and providing for new and changing uses.
The updates as proposed are in line with the recently updated Comprehensive Plan, which was a requirement of the Board of Supervisors, in that it continues to promote our agricultural and historic uses while preserve our open space. The updates also encourage the support of our tax rateables through Industrial/Commercial uses, which offset residential fees. This is supported by the subsequent Economic Development Study. Finally, the updates are also in keeping with Chester County’s Landscapes III which is a guide for growth and rural protection.
The update has now reached its conclusion and several public meetings have been conducted to inform the public and address questions in the later months. Below is the new Zoning map (2023) along with text Articles 1 - 25 followed by the updated maps. There is no Article 15.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Diane Hicks, Director of Planning and Zoning.
Proposed Kennett Township Municipal Planning Code
Articles 1-25 (note there is no Article 15)
- 1- Article I Preamble PR MPC
- 2- Article II Terminology PR MPC
- 3- Article III Establishment of Districts PR MPC
- 4- Article IV RA Residential District PR MPC
- 5- Article V RR Residential District PR MPC
- 6- Article VI RS Residential District PR MPC
- 7- Article VII RMHD Residential District PR MPC
- 8- Article VIII VH Village District - Hamorton PR MPC
- 9- Article IX VM Village District - Mendenhall PR MPC
- 10- Article X C Commercial District PR MPC
- 11- Article XI SA Specialized Agriculture PR MPC
- 12- Article XII LI Limited Industrial District PR MPC
- 13- Article XIII-1 CC1 Cultural Conservation 1 PR MPC
- 13- Article XIII-2 CC2 Cultural Conservation 2 PR MPC
- 14- Article XIV PRD Planned Residential Development PR MPC
- 16- Article XVI Historic Resource Stds PR MPC
- 17- Article XVII Open Space Design Option PR MPC
- 18- Article XVIII Natural Resource Protection Standards PR MPC
- 19- Article XIX Supplemental Use Regulations PR MPC
- 20- Article XX General Standards PR MPC
- 21- Article XXI Signs PR MPC
- 22- Article XXII Transferable Development Rights PR MPC
- 23- Article XXIII Zoning Hearing Board PR MPC
- 24- Article XXIV Nonconformance Standards PR MPC
- 25- Article XXV Administration PR MPC
Planning & Zoning
Diane Hicks is the Director of Planning & Zoning. She is responsible to make sure all Zoning Ordinances and Codes are properly followed and enforced. Diane works with the Zoning Hearing Board to coordinate Zoning Hearings.
Building Codes Official - Rich O’Brien, Keystone Municipal Services inc is the Township Building Codes Official. He is responsible for reviewing building permits, building plans, enforcing building codes of the Township and codes. The Township uses the 2015 International Building Code unless otherwise noted by Ordinance.
- For Code and Zoning Permit applications/forms, click HERE!
- For information on the Township Codes/Ordinances, click HERE!
- To view the Township Maps, including the Zoning Map, click HERE!
Building Inspection Information
Residential/home inspections are Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Appointments are not available; however, you can specify morning or afternoon. Our inspector will call you beforehand only if you specify morning or afternoon. To schedule an inspection please email email@example.com and be sure to include in the email:
- Permit #
- Contact person and cell number
- Type of inspection